This course ensures that the student gains the expertise and knowledge to administer occupational First Aid at FETAC Level 5.
Monday 13th, Thursday 23rd, & Monday 27th May 2019
- Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm
- Price: €290
Occupational First Aid/First Aid Response
Fetac Level 5, 1 credit
The Occupational First Aid course is a statutory course set down by the HSA and based on the requirements of the 2007 Safety, Health & Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations. The course is designed to fulfil the criteria of the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act and subsequent legislation in relation to having trained First Aiders in the workplace. Instructors registered with the Occupational First Aid Assessment Agent (OFAAA) are recognised as eligible by the Health and Safety Authority (HSA), to deliver the course.
Learners who successfully complete this module will:
- Understand the responsibilities of the occupational first aider
- Be able to provide treatment for the purpose of preserving life or minimising the consequences of injury until discharge or the arrival of medical assistance.
- Be able to provide treatment at the workplace for an injury which does not require the attention of a medical practitioner or nurse.
- Be capable of coordinating first aid arrangements in the workplace.
- Be familiar with health and safety legislation on first aid provision in the workplace.
Units The specific learning outcomes are grouped into 8 units
- Unit 1 First aid in the workplace
- Unit 2 Patient assessment
- Unit 3 Respiratory emergencies
- Unit 4 Cardiac first response
- Unit 5 Wounds and bleeding
- Unit 6 Altered levels of consciousness
- Unit 7 Musculoskeletal injuries
- Unit 8 Burns and scalds, chemicals, electric shock
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillation (practical test) 40%
- Short Answer Exam/22 questions (20 to be attempted) 30%
- One first aid practical assessment for an injury 15%
- One first aid practical assessment for an illness 15%
- Pass (P) 50-64%
- Merit (M) 65-79%
- Distinction (D) 80–100%
Monday 13th, Thursday 23rd, & Monday 27th of May 2019
€290 per person inclusive of course materials & refreshments.